You are a smart person. You know that taking care of yourself is essential to feeling great, looking good in your clothes and having enough energy to work and do all the things life demands of you. However, sometimes you find it's just so hard to do!
Imagine this... you set a goal to get fit and take better care of your health and then suddenly the bag of chips, couch and Netflix have taken over and your goals go out the window. Or, maybe you give in and then promise yourself to start "tomorrow" or "Monday" yet tomorrow never seems to come. Before you know it, you've lost all your motivation and desire to get started.
What do you do now?
When you find your motivation for taking care of yourself try taking a moment and trying these few simple techniques to give your motivation a boost:
1) Stop trying so hard. Maybe your lack of motivation is because you are trying too hard and you just
need to give yourself a break! Take a moment to chill out, back off the diet, switch up your exercise routine and just chill out for awhile. Ride out the wave and soon your motivation will come back at even higher levels.
2) Remind yourself of your goals. When you feel your motivation start to drop take a moment to remind yourself as to why you started this journey in the first place. Are you watching what you eat because you want to fit into your wedding dress in a few months? Are you exercising daily because you need to support your heart health? Do you get up every day extra early to meditate because you know it helps reduce your stress levels? Just these simple questions may help get your motivation back when you realize how badly you want to see the results of your actions.
3) Finish incomplete projects. Maybe the reason you are losing motivation to stick to your healthy lifestyle habits is because you have some unfinished business in other areas of your life. Take some time to complete tasks in other areas of your life may help motivate you to re-focus on your health and weight loss goals.
4) Use yourself as your guide. One of the quickest ways to deplete motivation is to compare yourself to others. Everyone is unique and accomplishes things on their own time in their own way. Stop posting pictures of skinny models around the house and just focus on how far you have come. Compare your before and afters as a way to stay motivated.
5) Focus on how you want to feel. Rather than getting too caught up on a number you want to see on the scale or the size of clothes you want to fit in to decide how you want to feel everyday. Chances are if you focus on how amazing you feel then the journey to those numbers will be more motivating and pleasurable.
6) Re-visit or develop your action plan. Often one of the best ways to stay motivated is to develop clear goals and action steps that will hold you accountable. Set timelines and simple action steps you will do daily, weekly and monthly and check in with your progress at each timeline. Think of your goals as a business or a doctors appointment. If there was money on the line or someone else counting on you to show up you will be more likely to do it.
7) Reward yourself. Of course a celebration is in order when you reach your ultimate goal but it's
also a good idea to reward yourself at regular intervals along the way. That way you know that your reward and celebration aren't too long down the road. You give yourself something to look forward to all the time.
8) Live as if you are already there. To stay focused and motivated start acting as if you have the health, the fitness or the body you desire. You can be happy with what you have now... it's just your state of mind that may need an adjustment.
9) Surround yourself with positivity. Find a social circle that supports you accomplishing your goals. These people need to love you enough to hold you accountable and call you out on your shit if you choose to start with the excuses. They will be the ones who will also be there to help celebrate all your small, and big, accomplishments along the way.
Need some help staying motivated? We'd love to help! Please contact us today to book a FREE info session and gain help form someone who truly wants to see you succeed in this journey to better health, wellness and happiness!