I am taking a moment to chill out and grab a latte while I get some work done on the laptop... my favourite way to work, and I found myself sitting at the Regal Cat Cafe in Calgary, Alberta.
The Regal Cat Cafe is a coffee shop that has partnered with The Meow Foundation to help homeless kitties find their new forever home. As you sit and enjoy your latte you can watch these little sweethearts run enjoying their beautiful condo.
While I sit here watching all the different cats play, sleep, run and walk around I was thinking about my old boys (Raven and Blade, both big beautiful long-haired black cats), my step-cats (Moxie and Dahlia both sweet little tabby's) and how much cats can teach us about our life.
Here are my thoughts:
1) Just be you: If you look at many cats, they are who they are and no one will change them. Cats are born with their little personality and because they aren't trainable like dogs are they usually are just who they are! This is a great lesson... you are born with your own personality and it is essential that you stay true to who you are and never be afraid to JUST BE YOU!
2) Make time for fun and play: A little grey cat in the cafe is currently running around his entire space playing with all the cats, people and toys looking like he's having an absolute blast! The lesson here is to be fully present in your space and have as much fun as you possibly can wherever you are! Playing is good for children and adults! It helps us stay happy and keeps our creative brain sharp! Life doesn't need to be so serious! Have fun with the people, places and things in your life!
3) It's ok to be feisty: My step kitties tend to fight with each other once in awhile. Although they aren't being mean, the one cat, Moxie, likes to pull rank and go after Dahlia who is usually more timid. The lesson we can take from this is that theirs nothing wrong with being frisky everyone once in awhile. There may be times when you just want to let go, roar like a lion and make it known what you want and what you don't want in your life.
4) Self-care is essential: Every cat in the cafe has taken a time out to clean themselves and give themselves some self-care. Self-care and pampering is just as essential for us! Taking a time-out to get a pedicure, relax and read a book or do whatever makes you happy is essential for happiness and health.
5) Sleep...a lot!: Every cat loves to sleep. They curl up in a ball in the strangest places, or sprawl out and bask in the sun. Wherever they can find a space cats love to sleep. Taking time to rest and have a goos sleep is important for us as well. We need this time to recharge and allow our body to heal and prepare for the next day ahead.
6) Spend time with the ones you love: My boys, Raven (who has now passed on) and Blade, were the best of buds. They would clean each other, sleep beside and each other and cackle at birds from the window together. The lesson from this is that even though at times they loved to fight they always remembered how much they loved each other and took time each day to chill with each other. Take time today to think about who you care about and spend more time with them. We never know when they will no longer be there.
I believe we have been blessed to be in the presence of earth angels that animals are. if you are as much of an animal lover as I am please take time with your own little earth angel(s). Give them love, hugs and kisses as their little lives are so short and they only want to give and receive love from us.
If you truly love animals then I also encourage you to think about how ALL the animals in the world are treated and do your very best to not support any industry that exploits or hurts animals in any way. Regardless if the animal is a dog, cat, cow, pig, fish they all have feelings, feel love and pain.
Some ways you can support animals of the world are:
1) Volunteer with or give money to help a local animal shelter
2) Refrain from purchasing any meat or animal products such as leather, fur, food products that harm animal habitats or products tested on animals.
Just by doing these two simple things you can make a huge difference to thousands of animals through your lifetime.
I hope you received value from this today. If so, please comment and share. If you want to connect with me about ways you can protect animals and switch to a lifestyle where you consume no animals or products please send me an email. I'd be happy to help!